Little Pieces of Spirit (TM)

--the art, poetry, musings of M. David Orr. The focus is on spirituality and living. RSS Feed: http://littlepiecesofspirit.blogspot.com/atom.xml (c) Copyright 2006 by M. David Orr

Friday, July 21, 2006

The True Believer


Abused by M. David Orr, watercolor, 8"x10", 1996

Mutually intolerant groups—Liberal-Conservative, Communist-Capitalist, etc.— seem to thrive on rancor. The True Believer by Erik Hoeffer offers a keen insight into the source and meaning of the rancor.

Hoeffer was a self-educated Longshoresman who wrote his profound book by looking with his own eyes outside the boxes provided by each of the conflicting groups. He was able to pinpoint the dynamics of the personality of the true believer--no matter what the ideological, religious, or atheistic persuasion. He was careful to distinguish between people who have secure, sincere beliefs and those whom he calls true believers.

The latter are characterized by an unwanted, hated self that they wish to escape. Any mass movement can provide the outside belief that promises salvation from the unwanted self and meaning for the person's life. The characteristic sign of the true believer is not quiet conviction, but intensity and a passionate opposition and antagonism to the opposite movement. Interestingly, the persons vehemence in defending the movement’s message is in direct proportion to his/her doubt about themselves and the movement. It's like, "If I can convince someone else, then that's evidence that my cause must be right."

Hoeffer was careful to state that the True Believer appears in every sect, religion, ideology, and political movement. I don't remember if he said it or not, but I think the phenomenon is related to tribalism--in its scapegoating and vilification of the outsider. I think it is also related to psychological projection--projecting the unwanted parts of ourselves onto others and hating them there instead of seeing these parts inside and healing the damaged parts.

I know that I have insecure and sometimes unwanted parts of myself that sometimes get triggered and result in things for which I have to apologize and ask forgiveness. It feels good for me to bash the other person, particularly if I think I am hoisting them with their own petard; in the end, I have to come back to myself--what is it in me that responds so vehemently to the other person's comments, position, or even attack? The uncleanness is in me not in them; or, if in them, that is their concern and God's concern, not mine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home