Little Pieces of Spirit (TM)

--the art, poetry, musings of M. David Orr. The focus is on spirituality and living. RSS Feed: http://littlepiecesofspirit.blogspot.com/atom.xml (c) Copyright 2006 by M. David Orr

Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Influence of Location on Art

What happens when an artist moves to a new location? He/she is inevitably influenced by things in the new envirnoment. A couple of years ago my family and I moved from Chicago to Fairview, N.C., near Asheville in the Blue Ridge Mountains. In the course of checking out the local crafts, I came across some birdhouses made of gourds and decorated with flowers in acrylic paint. I thought these were kind of gaudy, but I bought a raw gourd, and played with decorating it at home. Before long, I had bought dozens of gourds from eBay and was painting, jig-sawing, burning, staining and inking them into all kinds of abstract art. Eventually, I found others who were doing the same, going all the way back to Cherokee Indians, who made beautiful abstract gourds, decorated with leather and feathers. Below are some examples of my work:







0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home